|Ambrose Call State Park
Ambrose A. Call State Park is a 138 acre "oasis" of rugged hills, heavily wooded with virgin timber in an area of gently rolling farmland. The park is located near the east fork of the Des Moines River. Ambrose Call and his brother, Asa, were early settlers in the area who carved their claim, the first in Kossuth County, on a walnut tree at the present site of the park. The brothers spent their first night in Kossuth County on July 9, 1854. The next day, while Asa went for his wife and supplies, Ambrose and a traveling companion, William Smith, began work on a cabin in what is now the state park.
Seventy-one years later, in 1925, Mrs. Gardner Cowles made a gift of land to the state in memory of her father, Ambrose A. Call. The park was dedicated in 1929.
The authentic log cabin is constructed of elm logs, some exceeding 18 inches in diameter, which is typical of cabins built by the original settlers in the area. Four men were needed to put the logs in place. The cabin in the park is located in the approximate location of the first log cabin in Kossuth County. It was moved from the August Zahlten homestead to the park. This lodge has been recently renovated.
The rugged and heavily wooded park offers two miles of trails that wind through the forest, down a ravine, and along a picturesque winding creek. Many species of shrubs, flowers and trees can be found at A.A. Call. This is a prime site for viewing spring wildflowers like trillium, Bloodroot, Spring Beauty, Trout Lily and Jack-in the Pulpit.
A cross-country ski trail is available in the winter.
A. Call State Park is located on the SW side of Algona.
Driving Directions and other Information
|Visit Ambrose Call State Park via Google Map by Clicking HERE!
(Please disable your browser's popup blocker before viewing map)
Take a short visit to Ambrose Call State Park via the video below!
|Wild Categories||Photo Gallery|